1. What is a D.O.? How can a D.O. help my low back pain, sports injury, knee pain, or other medical condition? John Hughes, D.O. Aspen Integrated Medicne at the WIN Health Institute
2. Osteopathic Medicine ●Developed in the late 1800’s alongside allopathic (M.D.) medicine ●Founded by A.T. Still, M.D., who rejected the harsh drug treatments used then for manual medicine ●Still was accepted by the medical community but chose to start his own schools because his holistic philosophy was fundamentally different
3. Osteopathic Medicine-4 Principles ●1) The body is a unit; one cannot treat a part of the body without consider its entirety. ●2) Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated. ●3) The body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance. ●4) Rational treatment is based on an understanding of these principles.
4. What is D.O.? ●Many D.O.’s today overlook traditional principles as they practice in typical allopathic settings as surgeons, internists, or primary care settings ●Traditional osteopathic doctors make up about 10% of all those trained and utilize their hands to treat patients.
5. How does a D.O. operate? ●Many manual therapists exist today: bodyworkers, massage therapists, yoga artists, pilates instructors, chiropractors, physical therapists, oriental medicine doctors, cranial sacral therapists. ●All of these fields have a certain specific level of expertise ●What makes a D.O. special?
6. How does a D.O. operate? ●A D.O. is different than the other therapists because, in the U.S., a D.O. is a medical physician ●Traditional osteopathic doctors use very specific forms of manual medicine, unlike any other manual therapist.
7. How does a D.O. operate? ●Some of these techniques include ● counterstrain ● indirect balancing ● myofacial release ● cranial therapy ● lymphatic drainage ● facilitated positional release ● HVLA, muscle energy
8. How does a D.O. operate? ●Other techniques available to D.O.’s include: ● prolotherapy/prolozone ● medicine and supplement management ● lab testing ● IV nutrition ● oxidative therapies ● food allergy/ heavy metal testing
9. How does a D.O. operate? ●While many of these procedures are shared by chiropractors or other practitioners, traditional D.O.’s spend 30-45 minutes with each patient to learn their concerns and utilize a handful of methods to help with pain or other conditions ●Compared to standard medical therapy given by family practitioners or internal medicine doctors, osteopathic manual medicine (OMM) helps patients use: ● Less medicine ● Less physical therapy
10. How can osteopathic treatment benefit me? ●Osteopathic therapy can help a variety of disorders: ● irritable bowel ● ear infections ● asthma ● chronic pain ● hip, knee injuries
11. How can osteopathic manual therapy benefit me? ●In a JAOA article, osteopathic treatment when compared to physical therapy and and chiropractic helped patients with chronic injuries find pain relief in less visits.
12. Other therapies done by Dr. Hughes at the WIN ●Prolozone/Regenerative Tissue Therapy ● Vit B12, Folic Acid, and Procaine solution injected into a joint ● Ozone gas follows each injection ● Excellent therapy for preventing hip replacement, knee replacement, rotator cuff tears, ankle sprains
13. Why does Prolozone work? ●Injection of a proliferative substance such as dextrose, cod liver oil, ozone, and even saline solution into a joint causes a regrowth of collagen, increases blood and nutrient flow, and often cartilage regrowth. ●Ozone is one of the most powerful substances for causing this proliferative effect and has the added benefit of increasing stem cell production and growth
14. Prolozone-What can I expect to feel, how long is the treatment? ●Prolozone usually takes effect immediately ●Some patients will feel a mild to moderate aching pain after the therapy which usually lasts up to 48-72 hours ●After a week to 10 days, the patient is ready for another injection ●Usual therapy takes 3-5 injections over a 1-2 month time period
15. Other Uses of Ozone ●When used intravenously or intramuscularly, ozone stimulates the immune system ● stimulates wbcs, increases interferon, increases TNF, increases IL-2 ● fights viruses, fungi, bacteria ● oxidizes arterial plaque ● increases flexibility of rbcs and oxygen carrying capacity
16. Other uses of Ozone ●Degrades petrochemicals ●Acccelerates the Citric Acid Cycle